Karnan

This Epic movie that was released in 1964 in its first version , was digitalized and was re-released in March 2012 -- after 48 years, with great work done on the tape by using Technology to the hilt ..With DTS version and fantastic sound impact , the movie was screened couple of weeks ago and drew full houses. That must be some sort of a record for a movie being screened again after a long gap and for it to run on full houses !I could not get tickets the first two weekends and the third time was lucky. My good friend Subram who helped me with the tickets tells me specifically, that i should mention that i watched the movie in "Couple seats" !! I must admit I was very excited to go and watch this movie.

One must admire the effort on part of the team that converted the original version to its current form. The conversion gave the movie great shape and visual appeal..

I had watched the old version in my younger days and enjoyed the songs of this film , a great deal mostly enjoying them for their wonderful lyrics and melodious tunes. Somehow the age that I was in ,prevented me from enjoying the movie in context of its theme , superb acting and many other things that were packaged.

But in this revised version , I thoroughly enjoyed all that I did not care when I watched the movie in my younger days.

The friendship between Karnan and Duryodhana – fantastic in terms of the trust between the two , giving space to each other and mutual respect. While Duryodhana is evil to all around him , he is not so to Karnan ! Veteran Villain Asokan plays a neat cameo in this role !! Equally impressive was Savithri as Banumathy , Duroyadhana’s wife

Sivaji -- simply fantastic is the word to describe his work. The emotions and frustrations of not knowing who his parents are , he being treated well and given recognition by Duroydhana that cements their friendship and relationship ,the neat warm up sequences as he finds his wife , his disappointment at not being appointed as Commander for the war , his arrogance on the battle field, his nobleness all through his life in donating whatever he had and whatever was asked --- If anyone could bring in all emotive reactions , it could be the only and one Sivaji Ganesan..


The songs --- I sang the songs with the movie .. I have never done that before … Each word , each line meant a great deal and the tunes were awesome .

The role of Krishna --- Can anyone else do a better job than NT Rama Rao – I do not think so .. the flair , the guile , the mischievous dialogues , packed with a punch and humor and yet keeping the balance right to tilt the victory of the good over evil.

The audience at the Cinema hall was lovely.. It was a mixture of elderly , the middle age and children. It was a learned audience .. Clapping at various stages at Sivaji’s impeccable depiction of the Karna role and at the end of movies , few children were crying at Karna’s death !! The movie runs well over three hours . And at no point , we were anxious about the time that had elapsed. It all had to do with the overall content.

It was only remix of the old songs that we were witnessing . With no great Tamil movies being released / screened currently , the Digitalized Karnan has now provided a new avenue to the Cinema Industry.. With its success , Karnan will open the doors for more movies to be digitalised re-released …. And people will flock to the theaters, any day to watch good movies. Why not ? I am looking forward to seeing and have some choices as well..

Comments

shobha arvind said…
Fantastic review. The way u have reviewed the movie made me feel that I sat in theatre and watched the movie.
Needless to say old is gold
Aravind said…
Sri -- I was expecting this blog post! Did you whistle? :P

Karnan is the second one to be remade in digital version. The first one is my all-time favourtie - 'Maya Bazaar'. Though I did not get a chance to watch MB movie yet, I thoroughly enjoyed the 'colour' songs in YT. Can't wait to watch (atleast in YT) SG singing Ullathil nalla ullam with NTR & co in colours :)

Yes, if Karnan opens the doors for the others to follow, it would be a very nice and encouraging trend!
Hari said…
Sri,

I own dvds of such classics. Whenever i see movies like "3" i come back home and immediately watch movies like Karnan, Maya Bazaar, Sampoorna Ramayanam - to feel good about movies and the class that was present those days. For me even today when i think of Vishnu, Krishna - Only NTR comes to my mind..He gels so well in Godly Costumes. Miss those kind of movies nowadays!!!
V Ramesh said…
Great review. This film had extensive use of Hidustani intruments like Shenai and Sitar- Great music,Kannadasan's unforgettable lines- Gita simplified on top of it great acting
Subram said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subram said…
My Pleasure Sri.....Great Summary!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Hearts Project -- 25th May 2023-- 500 Surgeries Milestone

Nostalgia of Learning -- 1980 s Watching the 9 PM News on DD

The First Flight Experience Nostalgic Recollections