Alms -- Demands and Pressures

This has been going on for some time .
Finally got to pen this down and share. I visit temples regularly and most of them are crowded and so you get in , pray and get out without getting noticed and not chased for alms. But not the one at Madhya Kailash. I go to this temple before I get to work ( once a week ) and at the time, I get in, the temple is empty and I get in and get out easily .

Things worked well for me till about six , seven months ago. As I stepped out of the temple , a man came rushing towards me and asked for alms. I gave him a 5 rupee coin. He was not happy. He said I have to give him money that would be good enough to buy him his lunch . I offered another fiver . No , he was not happy. Ten bucks could not buy him lunch. He demanded at least twenty bucks in a pleading manner ( yes , demanded in a pleading manner ). This became a habit. Every week , as my car turned in to OMR, I could see him with gleaming eyes. And nothing less than Twenty rupees will suffice him for his lunch. I started getting twitchy every week. I started looking for him as I turned in to OMR and must admit was happy if he was missing. He did go missing for a couple of months. I was happy to get to the temple , do my prayers and get out without this man challenging me at the exit.

Two months ago, he surfaced and he indicated that lunch expenses had gone up ( inflation ! ) and it had to be at least fifty bucks. I realized that it was time to put this guy in place . This guy thought that just putting pressure on me outside the temple and talking loudly would make me feel uncomfortable and I would end up giving what he wanted. I challenged him and told him that I will give away on my own terms and asked to quieten down. I told him I will give what I like to give. He also realized that he stretched it too far on me .. A case of the farmer cutting off the hen that laid golden eggs ! I still go to the temple and he is still there .. but he does stay a distance and accepts what I give. We see different people do different things but this guy was one who really made me sweat till I decided I should not ! You need to ensure that you are always on your guard . Life is a challenge

PS: Back to blogging and working normally after three weeks

As I finished drafting this blog, I got a call from one of the priests of the temple, famous for its linkage to Dance. He is looking at me to get him a four wheeler.. Battle goes on .. Any takers ?

Comments

shobha arvind said…
This shows people take us for granted very easily. We should start learning to say "NO" and put an end though its a difficult task. People use our weakness - it may be emotional, financial, affection, relationship or respect any form...Time to know where we stand and learn to put an end.
shobha arvind said…
This shows people take us for granted very easily. We should start learning to say "NO" and put an end though its a difficult task. People use our weakness - it may be emotional, financial, affection, relationship or respect any form...Time to know where we stand and learn to put an end.
Ganesh Babu C said…
Atlast....Sri..Got one. Interesting and good learning...Thanks for sharing...Request you to take a picture of that person and post it..
PA said…
Sri.. we should suggest him Amma mess :-)
Vidhya said…
Hi Sri..
Good to see you back to blogging..very interesting to read.
Vidhya
Anoop said…
Sri, good to always read your blogs and have a laugh...it reminded me of my temple visiting days all over India with my grandmother when I was still very young and she would religiously pack bags of small change...mainly 1, 5 paise, etc....how times have changed now and inflation caught up with everything including alms...good luck with the four wheeler request...don't make him sweat you out this time :)
Naresh said…
I am travelling via Madhya kailash to office since we shifted to RMZ, I never ever thought I can visit this place as a temple on the way to office..
I will try to visit this temple (Landmark)ASAP.
Anonymous said…
Would be interesting to learn what goes in your mind when you give alms to that person now.. a feeling of guilt or accomplishment. Would also be interesting to learn what he would do if you brought him a pack of tiffen from home. I have a similar situation with the person filling air in the fuel station demanding Rs20. Thanks Sri. You made me think. From Babu PR
Unknown said…
It always happen when people see you coming in car quite ofter seden or SUV.

My husband always used to say you should give to them because they suffer, i will take that one 10 or twenty rupee note with a note to share amongst you.... Will return home with out fight...

Good to Read though its late for me to read Sri

Thanks for sharing Sri
Raji.S
Unknown said…
It always happen when people see you coming in car quite ofter seden or SUV.

My husband always used to say you should give to them because they suffer, i will take that one 10 or twenty rupee note with a note to share amongst you.... Will return home with out fight...

Good to Read though its late for me to read Sri

Thanks for sharing Sri
Raji.S

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Hearts Project -- 25th May 2023-- 500 Surgeries Milestone

Nostalgia of Learning -- 1980 s Watching the 9 PM News on DD

The First Flight Experience Nostalgic Recollections