Feb 28th Week end updates

Quotable Quotes of the week

My body is supported by Indian rice and Indian money - The Dalai Lama

I treat the audience exactly like I treat my wife . I always begin with the Golden Words " I am Sorry " . Cyrus Broacha TV Anchor

We have different political mysteries, different culture and different traditions. Yet, we created a beautiful mosaic of vibrant colours and warmth. Shah Mehmood Quershi - Pakistan Foreign Minister on his country's relationship with China

Ageless Sachin -- What a knock --The Record breaking 200 Not out in a ODI match

It was a great miss not to watch this innigs of Sachin live . I watched over the week end not once but twice . I am sure I would enjoyed the live telecast more than I did of the repeat telecasts . This man is awesome. Twenty years in to playing the game , he has not lost any of the passion , the will to dominate and decimate bowling attacks , innovate and be part of the changing face of the game . Does he have anything to prove in this game . U think " not" . But he keeps going.

At 36 , he has the capacity to last fifty overs and keep going. That shows his fitness levels . This was a record that stood for a long time in the name of Saeed Anwar ( Ironical he scored 194 against India ) and was recently equalled by Charles Coventry of Zimbabawe ( Coventry was modest -- Here is his comment on Sachin's record --I was very proud to have held the record for a little while but there could be no better man in the history of the game to break through the 200 barrier. Zimbabwe versus Bangladesh ... India versus South Africa. Not quite in the same bracket, are they?"Charles Coventry downplays his own achievement in scoring 194* against Bangladesh, and joins in the applause ).

Sachin has always kept his feet on the ground , played the game in true spirit , never lost his focus for the game ,maintained his simplicity , kept out of Controversy ( yes , who can avoid the Shiv Sena - they had a go at Sachin as well ) and has played for the team always -- that has been his strength . Not sure how he has managed this all through his career spanning two decades - I have never heard a call for his retirement !! Who would do that when you break record still ?
Here is another quote from his coach and this should augur well for us -- "He has always respected the game and is dedicated to it. But I think this is not enough for him. He is hungry and I am sure he will keep creating new records. He is a dedicated student of the game and is still keen to learn things." Ramakant Achrekar, Tendulkar's childhood coach

There were many quotes but I was wondering about two closest competitors to Sachin as to what they would be thinking -- Brian lara and Ricky Ponting -- it would be interesting to know what they think !!
If at all I have a yearning .. It is for him to do well as a Captain . But I think he has lost that opportunity with Dhoni taking over. Dhoni would hardly give him a chance on the Captaincy front !

The Commentary on Radio -

The Television Sports Channels let me down on Sunday . It was the Carling Cup Final and it featured - you guessed it right - ManU Versus Arsenal and none of the TV channles were telecasting this !! What a shame - Not to be left behind , looked up at the BBC site and found Running commentary being available live on the interrnet - So followed the match on this media after a long time and the pulse level was very high since I had to listen to the Commentator talking about the play and we could only visualise what was happening . The broadband connection was good and it was just like listening to the Radio. There were times when I was hapless , not being able to see but realised this was the case some twenty five years back as well - Had to depend on the Commentator's !! The result was a good one for ManU as they won 2-1 and retained the title. This should give them the boost to do betterr at th EPL and also get their nose ahead of AC Milan in the return match that will help them progress in the Champions league

Felt Nice on the Road

Over the week end , I had a pleasant surprise at a traffic signal. Normal tendency is to speed up when we spot the signal turning to Amber . We want to beat the Red signal .
At the Saidapet Signal , I slowed down my car as soon as I saw the Amber and stopped the car at the Z ,as the signal turned to Red. A car pulled beside me and the driver was franctic in getting my attention .

I normally know what happens . I would be given a dressing down for slowing down and slowing others who think that they could have moved on as the signal had not turned Red yet. My wife rolled down the window and I saw a man full of smiles ( elderly person ). He shouted out to ensure I was heard -- " You did a great job in stopping when the signal was turning Amber . That is the right way to drive and thanks for doing that " -- not what I was expecting .. By thanking me, this person conveyed not only appreciation but a reminder to me that I should do the same each occasion. I am more careful at traffic signals. Nice gesture indeed.

Comments

Venky said…
Sri, The comments you made about Sachin "Sachin has always kept his feet on the ground , played the game in true spirit , never lost his focus for the game ,maintained his simplicity , kept out of Controversy and has played for the team always -- that has been his strength". That really describes the Sachin. Not just a great player, but a great ambassador, role model and a human being.

Interesting comment on the Saidapet signal. While I was surprised to see such a person on CHennai roads, i realised that it was a elderly man. That was kind of understandable as he must have been at the receiving end quite a few times and saw someone like him in you..
Man O Man! Who is that gentleman. Did you get his contact information. He can be a poster boy for all those idiots out there who virtually run over you even when it is red. I have had occasions when just not my tempers where frayed but had my head blown many times over with their incessant honking. I really wish to congratulate that gentleman in person. Now, I can rest in peace..I mean I can go to bed with a thought that it is not insane that I associate me with a screen character Ambi from Anniyan, there are real life heroes as well.
Anonymous said…
Radha Said

Radio commentary used to be great those days -- particularly the ABC and BBC bring the cricket matches live.

Jim Maxwell (ABC), Chris Martin Jekins & Brian Johnston on the BBC. You will feel as if you are there on the ground.

But it is more than 15 years since I have heard and may not know if we will relish it these days. Good to find you are getting tuned -- act of desperation.

Taffic signal - I have been doing this for a long time now, but I never get appreciations. Moga raasi…

Thanks for sharing two interesting subjects.
Anonymous said…
Thanuja Said
Sri,

Excellent article on Sachin's achievement. The comments you made on Sachin - "kept his feet on ground, maintaining simplicity, not losing focus, playing for the team" and the quote by Sachin's coach "keen on still learning things" can be applied by us as well. Though, he is not there as a "captain" to the Indian team, still he is a great leader for the team to follow.
CGB said…
Sri,

If you were asked to compare this Knock to Sir Viv's 189 No against England. Which one do you rate as best...
Naresh said…
Sri,
I am amazed about your fondness to foot ball. Literally we get everything in Internet which had push co., like world space to file bankruptcy.

I agree with Radha on what ever Raasi it could be.., which I don’t have at all.
I never miss to stop when it is Amber but not once, it was twice my cars big fat boot was rammed by a two wheeler.
1st instance it was my car and the policemen who attended the unregistered case, asked me why did you stopped when it was not red.
2nd instance, not my car not the same policemen but the same question. Naresh.
Sri said…
Ganesh babu-
Both are great knocks -- Richards one was typical -- stroke filled arrogance -- Sachin's one was melodious -- Innovative and unexpected !!

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Hearts Project -- 25th May 2023-- 500 Surgeries Milestone

Nostalgia of Learning -- 1980 s Watching the 9 PM News on DD

The First Flight Experience Nostalgic Recollections