Unexpected Meeting -- Joys of Emotion

It is my habit to visit the local temple on  every Sunday mornings . Today was no different. I visited the temple , offered prayers and thanks and did something that I do not do usually. Just sat down on the aisle and closed my eyes – within seconds , someone tapped me on my shoulder—As I opened my eyes , the person asked ,” Are you Srikanth  ?“ I said "yes" and then realized it was Jeeva or Jeevanantham my classmate from school of the 1983 batch at Don Bosco . We were seeing each other after nearly 34 years. I was surprised that he was able to recognize me – I was surprised at myself that I was able to recognize him – Both of us had changed so much –

We forgot for a few seconds that we were at the temple – But quickly we moved aside – Started talking about the good old school days – Time flew – It must have been close to 75 minutes that we got lost in our thoughts and recollections. We talked about our teachers , the schools itself , our classmates and so on. Jeeva told me that he was trying with others to locate me !  That was an another surprise to me .  A couple of selfies and Jeeva told that he will add me to the School section WhatsApp group. The funny part of this meeting was that Jeeva has been coming to the same temple on Sundays more or less at the same time  that  I go, for the past five years or so but we never found each other. Must have been destiny  that we caught up today. 
By the time , I reached home , I was added to the WhatsApp group and what an engaging day it was. I started getting calls from many who were my thick mates at school and  had lost touch for this period of time.  Most of them were relieved that they found me .. It was joy to connect with all of them – 
I had missed a get together that all the X11 standard of the school  batch of 1983 had close to Christmas. of 2017. Towards evening , I got calls from the US , where few of them are today. Everyone excited and delighted to connect . I was able to recollect some of the great moments that I had with them in school – They were stunned that I could still remember all those small little things – But what the heck –is it not those things in life that gives us unexpected happiness ?  
Some  thoughts  –

1.      Happy that most of them are still around and also doing well for themselves.
2.      Those days , we had no form of technology that helped us to connect and stay in touch – today it is possible – I remember using something called an “ Autograph book” that we used to send around and take address and messages from classmates during the last week of school – ( today's scrap book )
3.      Jeeva said it was Celebration Day , the moment he saw me – He has taken on himself to keep hunting for all of us and was so delighted that he found me today by chance
4.      The exchanges in the group was meaningful for today and so do not expect it to be “One more Group “ !
5.      Just looking forward to the next meeting that is being planned in March of this year

Still excited as I pen this down – after a long time ! Cool day


PS : already two common friends from Ford who are either school mates or share some common hobbies  ( small world )

Comments

Aravind said…
I could visualize what a pleasant surprise it would have been the entire day for you! It was a only a phone call from Sridhar Joshi but I was able to clearly see his ecstatic face on this side of the phone in having identified you :)

The first half of the story that you have penned in this post is equally fascinating as well !! What a triggering point for a chain of events :)
shobha arvind said…
What a memorable day for you Srikanth !! Very well penned taking us live to the feelings ..stay in touch with all friends
Gazal said…
The excitement and pure joy, is so papable in your post! What a joy, to find school mates. I still have my grade 10 autograph book! Thanks for sharing Sri. Enjoyed reading your post.
Rajendrakumar said…
Thrilled beyond words to reconnect with you da.. .. We were a little disappointed that we could not get you before the Dec get together.. Anyway it's never too late.. . Irony is that you were all along in chennai when we were thinking that you would have moved to Mumbai or abroad.... Lets catch up in person soon
Vidya Nagarajan said…
What a joy to find old friends
Sujata Ramakrishnan said…
What a coincidence that I connected with my Xth standard school mates of Premier school few weeks back. My schoolmate Manjula tracked me on FB and mentioned she will add me to the batch’s what’s app group. For a moment I was thinking OMG another group but after reading each and everyone’s message it was so exciting to reconnect. They are even deciding to have a reunion party. We are a batch of 120 mates so far 50+ have been connected. I can figure out and visualize the feelings during this time Sri
Laxmi Bitra said…
Wow...That should be truly exiting .... and even I can relate to something similar . Technology ....Yes "Connecting People" :)
Prasanna said…
Should be Good Old Memories , that too School days are always fun and to be cherished!!
S.K.Vadivelan said…
Good post Sri!

I think Jeeva was on a mission to find old friends and he was very alert.

I also know Jeeva well from my school days (first to fifth standard)and Jeeva's family lived very near to my place in Perambur. But we did not have any contact for last 25 years and he found me through another common friend about a week back and added me to another WhatsApp group....I found three other long lost friends. Vadi.
Partha said…
Sri - Although you tried to put your feelings, you would have been thoroughly excited. These little things - connecting with old friends keep us going. I am sure you would shared a lot with your family that day.
Unknown said…
My dear Vadivel, I have the habit of recollecting the names of classmates daily during our school days which helps me to remember their faces and even some of the names with initial. Thanks for your comments Vadivel. Further I would like to mention after our parents we have to worship our teachers. I am having touch with some of my teachers. I had the plan to honour them. Mr Rathakrishnan and company, DBHS, has made it a month's back. But still I want to honour my kindergarden teachers too and searching for them. I think I may find out them soon. Love and regards.stay in touch...
Jeevanandam

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Hearts Project -- 25th May 2023-- 500 Surgeries Milestone

Nostalgia of Learning -- 1980 s Watching the 9 PM News on DD

The First Flight Experience Nostalgic Recollections