June 30th updates

Quotable quotes
I have told Nawaz Sharif that if we fail to remove Pervez Musharaff , we both might end up in jail - Asif Ali Zardari Pakistan People Party Chairman

Israel's security is sacrosanct. It is non - negotiable - Barack Obama

My " Mr right " needs to have a great smile, a good voice. The lines used by him should be classy, not cheap and yes , flirting is very essential - Vidya Balan Actor on her Dream man

Rotary

One more year rolled of the Rotary year-- A new team took charge to carry on the good work - I opted out of the team -- I had served the last two years as the Director Community Service and was so happy to do this since I liked it from my heart and saw great opportunities to help needy - I battled with myself before I took this call- I wanted a another person to take this on and give fresh ideas and also wanted to spend my time developing the medical centre which has been set up-- that would take more of my time and it was apt to have this handled by someone else who can do a good job out of it--
For the year that went past , there were some good work that we did and we were aptly recognised by the District --we won four awards in the " Community Service " category -- medical centre set up , Eye care , medical camps , slipper and school bags donation-- I did not realise that we had done all this -- realised it only when our President came back with the trophies and was very nice enough to have this announced as the new team took over and have me recognised by the new District Governor in our annual Installation function that is well attended by who is who in Rotary -- ( Key lesson : share the success at the right moment and when everyone is around )-- My wife said that she was moved when I got the award ( ahh..that is a big recognition ) _ Overall I felt very happy on what I did and as always I felt that I could have done better and ruminated over missed opportunities to help-
It is going to be a tough ask as I look at doing the best I can for the medical center -- We now have a ECG, X ray machine set up and are lining up a ultrasound scanner and we should go full hog sometime next month with some free camps--

Euro 2008

Finally it was Spain the "chokers " who did not choke this time -- Spain was always a contender but would get upset by lesser known rivals-- Overall it was great three weeks of football for the fans but not that great from a time zone perspective for the Asian football fans-- It was late nights to see the results and it left one sapped of energy for the next day ( No we did not play football but only watched it ! ) -- There were upsets as the Dutch one of the favourites were knocked off , so were the Portuguese as well the Croatians -- Russia produced some magic stuff with Turkey before both of them were eliminate at the semi final stage by Spain and Germany respectively - one needs to admire the Russian coach Guss Hiddink who has always produced the best from the team he has coached ( South Korea in the 2002 world cup, Australia in the last world cup )- Guus speaks
Dutch, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean and Spanish. He also speaks basic Italian and is learning Russian- He has this extraordinary skill to plot strategy with what he has got and that is a skill whish is praise worthy- You can win by having good players but Guss wins with what he has got - he brings the best of out of his unknown players and is a respected coach in the football arena -
We did miss England for all the hype and glamour they provide -- England team did not qualify for the Euro 2008 --we did not miss their football !


Moto GP

Casey Stoner continued his comeback at the Assen circuit in the Netherlands with a another comprehensive win -- Pedrosa finished second and took over the lead in the championships- Rossi crashed out at the start of the race but managed to get back and get back -- he could finish only 11th- The championship race is wide open with Pedrosa on 171 points followed by Rossi at 167 and Stoner at 142- Winner gets 25 points , runner gets 20 and third place gets 16- So no big deal - one race can change the fortunes of these riders

Comments

Anonymous said…
A note on your key lesson :
You practice it yourself Sri -- am one of the beneficiaries. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be recognized for Community Service. You played a significant role in all that I did. I really felt honoured last Monday when you presented me the employee excellence award. Babu PR

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Hearts Project -- 25th May 2023-- 500 Surgeries Milestone

Nostalgia of Learning -- 1980 s Watching the 9 PM News on DD

The First Flight Experience Nostalgic Recollections